Position Title: Communications & Creative Services Staff Writer
Department: Communications & Creative Services
Reports to: Manager of Communications
Educational or Certification Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications. Marketing and/or non-profit organization experience is a plus and strongly desired, but not required for this role.
- At least 3 years of experience in professional writing
- Experience writing promotional or marketing copy
- Experience writing for the web
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and take on multiple tasks
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
Position Summary: Cross Catholic Outreach is seeking a motivated staff writer who can communicate our ministry’s passion for serving the poor in Christ’s name. As a member of our Communications & Creative Services team, you will supply in-house clients with inspirational marketing materials in a variety of formats, such as blogs, letters, speeches, fundraising proposals, donor updates and press releases. You will have opportunities to travel to developing countries to gather stories about our life-changing work and share those stories with our donors. If you are a committed Christian excited by the prospect of working in a faith-infused office environment, participating in daily staff devotions and promoting Christ-centered relief and development projects, send us your resume today!
*** Please include a cover letter detailing your Christian background ***
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required/Preferred:
- Knowledge/familiarity with the teachings and values of the Catholic Church
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Interviewing and reporting skills
- Strong proficiency in MS Word, Excel and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Must be able to handle deadlines under pressure and prioritize accordingly
- Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop a plus
- Must have a keen eye for detail
- Candidate must demonstrate time management skills
- Possess a positive, service-oriented attitude and be a proven team player
- Ability and experience in using a DSLR camera to capture photography preferred
- Bilingual preferred; at a minimum, the ability to understand and to make oneself understood to all Spanish, Creole or French-speaking individuals
Other Requirements: – Ability and willingness to travel internationally
Job Description: Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide insightful, creative, faith-minded writing on a regular basis in a variety of formats.
Research, write, and execute marketing and fundraising tools, achieving the highest level of quality and ensuring consistency with corporate identity, brand messaging and Cross-Style handbook.
– Write promotional, advertising and fundraising material as required.
– Write weekly blogs, website material and social media material as required.
– Write letters, scripts, speeches and editorials for staff members as required.
- Meet deadlines for assignments as required.
- Select photos and other pertinent material to enhance writing. Work with graphic artists to create effective marketing material as required.
- Engage in on-going research on global issues related to Cross, Christianity, poverty, etc. for Cross’ websites.
- Conduct interviews with Cross ministry partners and beneficiaries to gather fodder and human interest stories.
- After traveling, write and file Harvested Stories and Trip Notes in the library in a timely matter.
- Provide support to all departments to ensure that all material reflects a cohesive & consistent “voice” of Cross.
- Proof and edit all of own written communications.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Catalog photos in Photobase with keywords, captions and descriptions
- Perform other duties as assigned
Please submit your resume by email to HR@CrossCatholic.org and include the title of the position in the subject line. Please be sure to include a cover letter detailing your spiritual background.
About Cross Catholic Outreach:
Cross Catholic Outreach is a Catholic relief and development organization working in more than two dozen developing countries. In addition to providing material aid such as food, clothing, shelter and medicines, Cross Catholic supports ongoing programs that help the poor lift themselves out of poverty and thus break its vicious cycle. We ensure that the aid reaches those who need it the most by working together with local priests, missionaries, and churches around the world. For more information, visit www.CrossCatholic.org.
We mobilize the global Catholic Church to transform the poor and their communities materially and spiritually for the glory of Jesus Christ.