Position Title: Communications & Creative Services Staff Writer
Department: Communications & Creative Services
Reports to: Manager of Communications
Educational or Certification Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications. Marketing and/or non-profit organization experience is a plus and strongly desired, but not required for this role.
- At least 3 years of experience in professional writing
- Experience writing promotional or marketing copy
- Experience writing for the web
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and take on multiple tasks
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
Position Summary: Cross Catholic Outreach is seeking a motivated staff writer who can communicate our ministry’s passion for serving the poor in Christ’s name. As a member of our Communications & Creative Services team, you will supply in-house clients with inspirational marketing materials in a variety of formats, such as blogs, letters, speeches, fundraising proposals, donor updates and press releases. You will have opportunities to travel to developing countries to gather stories about our life-changing work and share those stories with our donors. If you are a committed Christian excited by the prospect of working in a faith-infused office environment, participating in daily staff devotions and promoting Christ-centered relief and development projects, send us your resume today!
*** Please include a cover letter detailing your Christian background ***
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required/Preferred:
- Knowledge/familiarity with the teachings and values of the Catholic Church
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Interviewing and reporting skills
- Strong proficiency in MS Word, Excel and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Must be able to handle deadlines under pressure and prioritize accordingly
- Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop a plus
- Must have a keen eye for detail
- Candidate must demonstrate time management skills
- Possess a positive, service-oriented attitude and be a proven team player
- Ability and experience in using a DSLR camera to capture photography preferred
- Bilingual preferred; at a minimum, the ability to understand and to make oneself understood to all Spanish, Creole or French-speaking individuals
Other Requirements: – Ability and willingness to travel internationally
Job Description: Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide insightful, creative, faith-minded writing on a regular basis in a variety of formats.
- Research, write, and execute marketing and fundraising tools, achieving the highest level of quality and ensuring consistency with corporate identity, brand messaging and Cross-Style handbook.
- Write promotional, advertising and fundraising material as required.
- Write weekly blogs, website material and social media material as required.
- Write letters, scripts, speeches and editorials for staff members as required.
- Meet deadlines for assignments as required.
- Select photos and other pertinent material to enhance writing. Work with graphic artists to create effective marketing material as required.
- Engage in on-going research on global issues related to Cross, Christianity, poverty, etc. for Cross’ websites.
- Conduct interviews with Cross ministry partners and beneficiaries to gather fodder and human interest stories.
- After traveling, write and file Harvested Stories and Trip Notes in the library in a timely matter.
- Provide support to all departments to ensure that all material reflects a cohesive & consistent “voice” of Cross.
- Proof and edit all of own written communications.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Catalog photos in Photobase with keywords, captions and descriptions
- Perform other duties as assigned
Please submit your resume by email to HR@CrossCatholic.org and include the title of the position in the subject line. Please be sure to include a cover letter detailing your spiritual background.